Sunday, December 14, 2008

Darwin Revelation

Throughout this entire semester in Scientific Revolutions, we have been discussing the affects of Darwin on the history of our world in its entirety and science in general. Darwin has given me a new outlook upon both science and society. In relation to my time line about war, Darwin’s outlook upon science and his knowledge of society comes into play by allowing me to apply his ideas and thoughts to my own project. Darwin’s theory of evolution has permeated our word since the beginning, and will continue to do so. If Darwin was not around to create this theory, I wouldn’t have any information to support my time line. I wouldn’t be able to explain why guns exist, how telescope technology is used on guns, how we conduct ourselves as a society, and how the cause and effects of war have altered over time. My personal revelation is my understanding of the vital importance of Darwin’s theory’s that have shaped our country into what it stands for today.

According to Philip Appleman, “Science is a particular way of knowing about the world. In science, explanations are limited to those based on observations and experiments that can be substantiated by other scientists. Explanations that cannot be based on empirical evidence are not a part of science” (Appleman, 289). This statement helps portray my revelation in the light of Darwin because it expresses the nature of science and how is must be supported. Evolution is an example of science that would apply to this previous statement. Referring back to my time line, evolution has a lot to do with war because of how technology in weapons have evolved, reasoning’s for war, protection, and tactics. An example of evolution in my time line is art; Picasso’s Guernica is a very abstract painting which was not always seen as art. Aesthetics and art have been evolving since the beginning of time, getting more and more abstract and modern. Speaking of aesthetics, art is not the only war related subject that has changed through time. Music is another example, expressed as the 1812 Overture in my time line. Music has not always been like the Overture, and obviously has evolved much since then, hence today’s popular musical artists and genres. One doesn’t hear music much from the 1930’s in today’s time, and I’m sure in 2099 they won’t be listening to music from 2008. This example relates to art, music, and science because of technology improving every day.

Science and aesthetics still come back into play even when basing my personal revelation upon Darwin’s theory’s and relating them to my time line of war. Appleman states, “Scientific knowledge may enrich aesthetic and moral perceptions, but these subjects extend beyond science’s realm, which is to obtain a better understanding of the natural world” (Appleman, 300). Basically this statement means that even though scientific knowledge is the basis upon life and is backed with scientific proof, aesthetics and the moral outcomes are the determinants. Any information is somewhat bland; however, once it is aesthetically portrayed to the public determines the way in which it’s meant to be taken, its importance, impact, and possible beauty. Aesthetics overpowers science by being able to contort how society reacts to its scientific outcomes. My personal revelation is very important to me and I feel is very important to others too because most do not have knowledge of Darwin. I’ am amazed of how much Darwin has impacted my thinking throughout this semester, and I feel that everyone else in the class feels the same way.




I chose this video because it relates to my discussion of evolution in the promoters and outcomes of war, and how science must be proved with credible evidence. This video displays evidence for evolution and how it plays a role in our world in the past, present, and future. I found this to be the most relevant video clip coinciding with my theme. Our course readings are also another possible source for information.

Work Cited

Appleman, Philip. Darwin. “Darwin and the Shaping of Modern Science.” (289). New York: Newton & Company, Inc, 2001.

Appleman, Philip. Darwin. “Darwin and the Shaping of Modern Science.” (300). New York: Newton & Company, Inc, 2001.


No comments: