Friday, October 24, 2008

Debating Science & Religion

The debate of Science vs. Religion is a funny one. While people claim that the two are polar opposites, one disproving the other in constant argument, it seems only funny that the church itself has the Pontifical Academy of Science. It seems almost hypocritical that science is supported by the church, and that’s what has been attempting to disprove their ideas for decades.
I found the article “God vs. Science” in time magazine; the first thing I noticed was that the same person, Richard Dawkins was in both articles showing that he is an avid representative in debates on the topic. I do find it interesting though, that Dawkins mentioned in “How to Teach Science to the Pope” from his conversation with Father George Coyne, “And he said to me that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe in God…” when Dawkins asked why Coyne believed God, Coyne had given the simple answer, “It’s quite simple, I was brought up Catholic”
Now it’s this that gets me to think, that after all these years of debates against one another that the two are finally beginning to accept one another? As Dawkins says in the Time article,
“I accept that there may be things far grander and more incomprehensible than we can possibly imagine. What I can't understand is why you invoke improbability and yet you will not admit that you're shooting yourself in the foot by postulating something just as improbable, magicking into existence the word God.”
I believe the two have come to the point where it’s like saying, “I dislike you, but I notify you’re here.”

Works Cited:
Cray, Dan. “God vs. Science.” Time Magazine. November 5, 2006. October 23, 2008 http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1555132-2,00.htmlMason, Michael. "How to Teach Science to the Pope." Discover Magazine. August 18, 2008. http://discovermagazine.com/2008/sep/18-how-to-teach-science-to-the-pope

No comments: